fefferbooks

FefferBooks

An editor and avid reader gives her frank thoughts about everything she reads. More reviews and book blather on fefferbooks.com!

If I Should Die
Amy Plum
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
Marissa Meyer

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch--Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods - Jennifer Reese Clever, witty, and no-nonsense, not to mention full of great-looking recipes! Reese comes at cooking from much the same viewpoint I do: does it taste better to make this myself, and even if it does, is it worth my time and effort? The answer is often yes, but Reese is sensible. It's really not worth it to try and skin your own hazelnuts, slice your own sashimi (squick!) or try and age your own prosciutto for 6 months, no matter how much you'll save. Bread? Of course. Bagels? Try it! Yogurt? No-brainer. Unless you really like it premixed & super-sweet, in which case, why give up the convenience? There are a zillion foods in here that, due to Reese's diligence, I think I'll finally give a shot on my own. She's whittled DIY cooking down to recipes that really are convenient AND tasty. Only thing I'm missing (as a Kindle download) are big, glossy pictures.