fefferbooks

FefferBooks

An editor and avid reader gives her frank thoughts about everything she reads. More reviews and book blather on fefferbooks.com!

If I Should Die
Amy Plum
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
Marissa Meyer

Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass

Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass - I have kind of a love/...meh relationship with this book. I bought it book not just because I loved the movie, but because I loved the stories Karen told to Denys and Berkeley. She's portrayed as an incredible storyteller, and I hoped the writing of her original book would be similar. Initially, it was exactly what I'd hoped. Dinesen's voice is clear: slowly paced, but extraordinarily her own, and immediately transporting. But about 1/3 of the way into the book, I just got bored. Dinesen seemed to have forgotten about her storyline and instead got lost, telling me about one tangent after another. And tangents are fine, when they're interesting, but they were just mildly so, and the narrative became so muddled that I lost interest completely. Also? There's the whole race issue. Dinesen is most certainly ahead of her time--she's not attempting to make the African tribes she meets either the noble natives, nor denigrate them, but despite her attempts to portray the people honestly, occasionally she throws in a comment that leaves you thinking, "WHUT? Did she just say that? Holy..." I wish I could remember specific examples, but it's been too long. Anyway, Dinesen clearly still retains some ingrained ideas that are a product of her time.