fefferbooks

FefferBooks

An editor and avid reader gives her frank thoughts about everything she reads. More reviews and book blather on fefferbooks.com!

If I Should Die
Amy Plum
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
Marissa Meyer

My Life in France (Movie Tie-In Edition) (Random House Movie Tie-In Books)

My Life in France - Julia Child, Alex Prud'Homme I picked this one up after seeing "Julie and Julia," which I quite enjoyed. Like others of my generation, I'd grown up knowing who Julia Child was, but I'd never actually watched an episode of her show, nor bothered cracking one of her cookbooks. I was more familiar with Dan Akroyd's version of her than anything. I found myself entirely enchanted with the version of her portrayed by Meryl Streep in the movie--was she really that upbeat and determined? And how fascinating that she lived in France by virtue of a government posting! I wanted to know more. What I found in reading the book was that Julia really was just as Streep envisioned her: her quirks and mannerisms were delightful, and she really was just as optimistic and ambitious as the movie version. I enjoyed reading about how she met her husband, their years of government service, and her journey toward success through cooking and writing, and I'm off to buy "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" today. What a lovely woman!