fefferbooks

FefferBooks

An editor and avid reader gives her frank thoughts about everything she reads. More reviews and book blather on fefferbooks.com!

If I Should Die
Amy Plum
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
Marissa Meyer

Folly Beach (Lowcountry Tales, #8)

Folly Beach: A Lowcountry Tale - Dorothea Benton Frank

Meh. It was a somewhat interesting story, but: * The constant trade between the "play" chapters vs. the novel chapters was distracting, and I wasn't nearly as interested in the Dorothy Heyward story as the protagonist's. So...yeah. * Nothing drives me more nuts than unrealistic dialogue. Two of the characters would be having a completely normal phone conversation, and then suddenly it'd be like, "Oh! We need explication here!" and then we'd get some random paragraph that was bizarre and overdramatic and not in the least like a real conversation. Some of the mother/child conversations in particular were either stilted or way over the top. I just found myself thinking, "Nope." I used to really enjoy Frank's novels--they've always been escapist beach-reads, but I think she's trying too hard to pump out a book a year and not focusing nearly enough on the quality of the writing anymore. Solid 2 stars.